The Path We Choose

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fandom For Preemies Outtake

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~
Fandom for Preemies Outtake
Maddie/Masen POV
"Morning, little man," Papa said to me as he sat down beside me on the bench in their backyard. "Whatcha doing out here so early in the morning?"
I yawned and then pointed at Rufus who was chasing a leaf that blew around the backyard. "Rufus needed to go outside," I told him and smiled when he finally caught it.
He sat beside me for a few minutes without saying a word and then finally said, "You doing okay?"
I nodded at him because I was doing more than okay, I was great. Mommy and Daddy had finally gotten married and we could be a family forever. It seemed like it had taken a really long time for that to happen, but I was smart enough to know it really hadn't been that long. I mean, I was eight, and got all A's in school; I wasn't a dummy.
I pulled Grandpa Charlie's badge out of my pocket and held it in my hands and thought about what Uncle Jasper and Uncle Seth had told me about him. I even remembered what Grandpa Charlie's friend, Billy, told me, too. I was kinda bummed that I wouldn't ever get to meet him, though. I mean, he was a policeman…and the one that was in charge of everyone else! How cool was that? All of my friends would be so jealous! Not that I really cared about that, but I kinda did. It would have been really cool to have been able to have him around.
I couldn't wait to go to school and show everyone the badge. Besides the stuff Mommy had Derek Jeter sign for me, this was the coolest thing I owned. I knew it was really special to her, and the fact that she wanted me to have it made my tummy feel funny. I tried not to cry when Uncle Jasper gave it to me, but I didn't do a very good job and I cried a little bit. Hopefully none of my friends would find out about that. I mean I didn't even cry when I broke my arm!
My friends already thought I had the best Mommy ever anyway. 'Course they thought Daddy was really nice, too. I had been around enough of my friends and their moms and dads to know that I was really lucky. My friend Bobby at school had to live with his Grandma and Grandpa after his parents were mean to him so I knew not everyone's parents were like mine.
I got sad sometimes when I thought about Mommy and her mom and dad. Her mom sounded like a she wasn't very nice lady. I didn't understand anything about that. Mommy was my best friend and everyone loved her so much, it was dumb that anyone would want to be mean to her. Grandpa Charlie sounded better, but I wasn't real sure about him either.
Mommy didn't talk about him very much, but ever since her and Daddy went on that trip back to where she grew up and where she met Uncle Jasper, Uncle Seth, and Aunt Rose, she's talked about him more. It used to make her really sad whenever anyone said his name. That made me sad. Mommy shouldn't ever be sad; she was way too nice to ever be sad.
"Whatcha thinking about?" Papa asked me as he looked at the badge in my hand.
I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Mommy and Grandpa Charlie. Mommy told me you tried to help him when he was really sick. It's sad he died."
Papa put his arm around me and nodded his head and said, "It is. Your Mommy tried as hard as she could to do everything she could to try help make him better. I really wish I would have been able to help him, Masen."
I nodded at him. My Papa always tried to help everyone and I knew he got real upset when he couldn't always make them better. I didn't really understand everything he did, but I knew he was really good at his job and that people from far away wanted his help all the time.
"Was he really nice?" I asked.
Papa smiled and nodded his head. "He really was, and he was pretty funny, too. When I met him he was really sick, but he always told me and Nana funny stories about Mommy and the others."
"Do you think Uncle Jasper will be my real uncle someday?" I asked.
I knew that Jasper and Seth weren't really my uncles, just like Tanya and Demetri weren't really my aunt and uncle either. But, Uncle Jasper kissed Aunt Alice as much as Daddy kissed Mommy and even I knew you didn't kiss a girl that much or look at her with that silly look on your face unless you wanted to get married.
Papa coughed and got a strange look on his face but then he smiled and nodded his head. "I do. Uncle Jasper loves your Aunt Alice a whole lot. You know we all have a lot to thank your Mommy for because without her, we wouldn't have Seth, Jasper, or Rose, and think how bad that would be. I mean, who would keep Uncle Emmett in line if it wasn't for Aunt Rose?"
I nodded my head and thought about that. Saturday when we were at that nice place with the big rooms, there were so many people in the room with us. I really did love Uncle Jasper and Uncle Seth. Seth was silly like Uncle Emmett, but he loved Mommy a whole lot. I had heard lots of stories from him and Mommy from when they were little. They were almost like me and Maddie, even though they had different moms and dads.
Uncle Jasper was so cool. He took me and Mad by ourselves at least once a week to the Museum of Natural History and told us stories about all the displays there. He was one of the smartest grownups I knew, besides Daddy and Papa.
My best friend Adam and I talked about the wedding before I left on vacation before Thanksgiving. He thought it was really weird that Maddie and I got to watch Daddy and Mommy get married since most kids' parents were already married a long time before them. I knew it was different than most of mine and Maddie's friends, but I didn't really care. We wanted Mommy and now she would always be with us.
I also thought it was really cool that Daddy had asked that I stand up front with him and Uncle Emmett. He told me it was to make sure Uncle Emmett gave Father O'C the ring at the right time, but I knew he really just wanted me to stand up front with him cause I loved Mommy as much as he did. After all, I found her first.
Rufus barked and we laughed at him when he decided to change from chasing a leaf to rolling around on the ground. I couldn't wait to move to the lake with him so he could run and play outside more. He was gonna love playing in the snow! Thinking about that made me think about being up at the lake, and then the wedding. I couldn't help but smile again.
Mommy was soooo pretty on Saturday. I knew she would be though. I also knew my mommy was prettier than any other mom, ever. My friends all said so and anytime we went anyplace, people always stared at her. I knew that lots of people knew who she was and stuff, but still. I didn't talk to anyone about this but Maddie, but I hated when we would be out places and people would stare at her. It creeped me out big time.
I remembered the first time I saw her at the park that very first day. I never told anyone, but it was really her I wanted to talk to, not Rufus. I mean he's a puppy and all, but when I saw her for the first time, I thought she was like an angel or something. Mad knew, 'cause we told each other everything, but no one else did. It was our secret.
Mad told me all the time that it was 'cause of me that we have Mommy now, but I wasn't so sure about that. I wouldn't lie, it made me feel good to think that, but who knew if it was the truth or not? I guessed it didn't really matter now that Daddy finally got smart enough, and they got married.
I was so excited when Daddy told us they were getting married. 'Course Mommy was still in the hospital when he told us so I tried not to think about that too much. It made me scared sometimes to think about it though and me and Mad talked about that, too.
Flashback from the Lake House~
"Mase, you need to get up," Uncle Marcus told me.
I yawned and tried to pull the pillow over my head and he shook me again. "Masen, come on, little man. You and Maddie have to get up and get dressed. We have to go."
There was something about his voice that made me nervous so I opened my eyes and looked at him. His hair was a mess and his shirt was buttoned weird and I could tell something was wrong.
"Where are we going?" I asked as I sat up on the edge of the bed.
He was pulling clothes out of my dresser without even looking at me and I got goosebumps 'cause I knew something had happened.
Uncle Marcus stood up and ran his fingers through his hair. When he opened his mouth to say something, Aunt Diane walked in my room with Maddie who ran and sat next to me on the bed. She pulled my arm around her like she always did when she was scared.
When I saw Aunt Diane had tears in her eyes and I could hear Uncle Demetri moving downstairs, I couldn't help but get scared, though I tried not to show it. Maddie needed me to be strong for her. The only thing I could think of that would make everyone so sad was that something happened with Mommy and Daddy.
Aunt Diane came and sat on the bed next to Maddie and Uncle Marcus knelt in front of us, and after he took a few deep breaths, he said, "We have to take you two back to the city right away."
"Something happened to Mommy, didn't it?" I asked. I knew it did. I could feel it. My stomach had a yucky feeling in it and my chest hurt, like where my heart was.
They each looked at each other and Maddie reached for my hand and squeezed it, hard. Uncle Marcus nodded and I felt like I was going to throw up; like it did when me and Uncle Emmett rode the roller coaster over and over at Disney.
"It did, Masen. Papa called and said we needed to hurry and get there as fast as we could. The car is ready downstairs and Rufus is already in his kennel. Come on," he said as he stood up.
I felt weird and I didn't want to move. I guessed Mad didn't want to either because she still held onto me.
We followed them to the car and climbed in the backseat and got buckled up. The two guys that that man, Mr. Macelli, sent to help Uncle Marcus and Uncle Demetri watch the house were in the front seat. We took off and even I could tell that once we got going, we were going way faster than we were supposed to be. Something really bad had to have happened to Mommy and Daddy to make him drive so fast and it really scared me.
I tried to not let it show because Maddie would already be scared enough as it was. It was really weird sometimes because I could almost feel her when she got scared or was worried about something. There were lots of times when she would look at me, without telling me anything, and I would know what was wrong. I knew when I played ball and I got nervous when it was my turn to bat, I could feel Maddie sending me good thoughts and I could always tell when she smiled at me.
Uncle Marcus and Aunt Diane kept talking real quiet to each other and I couldn't tell what they were saying. But sometimes you could tell just by the way someone said something, like Daddy did to Mommy sometimes, that there was something really bad going on. I didn't know why people didn't just tell us what was wrong. Me and Mad weren't babies, and we knew a lot more than they thought we did anyhow. Like I had said, we were smart kids, we figured out way more than they knew.
It seemed like we made it to the hospital where Papa worked in no time, and as soon as I knew that was where we were, I got even more scared. Maddie grabbed my hand and we followed Uncle Marcus inside and when we got to where the rest of the family was and saw Daddy for the first time, and he was crying, I knew it was bad.
When we saw Mommy for the first time, I didn't even believe it was her at first. I mean it looked like her, and Daddy told us she was sleeping, but she wasn't like she always was. She was so still, she didn't even move at all. And she was cold, and Mommy wasn't ever cold.
I didn't mean to get so mad at Daddy when I yelled at him, but I was just scared that she wouldn't ever wake up. I mean, what would have happened to us if she would have stayed asleep. She was the only Mommy we wanted and I didn't want her to die. I knew all the grownups were scared that would happen. You could tell by the way everyone was so sad and the part of the hospital she was in. Daddy probably forgot, but he told me one time when we came here to find Papa, that where we were now was where the people who were the sickest and hurt the most stayed so I knew it was bad she was here.
It was so scary when she was sleeping and it took that long time to wake up. Daddy was always so sad, even though he tried not to show it when he was with us. He always took us to the cafeteria so we could eat together and he tried to ask us about school and stuff, but you could tell he just wanted Mommy to get better.
I hated that lady that hurt Mommy. Nana and Papa always told us it was bad to hate anyone. I usually tried not to, but I couldn't help it this time. I mean, why would she want to hurt Mommy that way? And when I saw how sad Daddy and Maddie were, I really, REALLY hated her, lots.
When she woke up, it was the best day ever. Well, the day she said she would be our mommy was pretty great and then when she and Daddy told us they were finally getting married, that was awesome, too. Everyone felt so much better once she woke up. It took awhile for her to not hurt and I was happy it didn't take very long for her pretty hair to grow back.
End of Flashback~
"Come on, buddy, time for breakfast. Nana made chocolate chip pancakes for you guys," Papa said.
"Rufus, come on," I called for him. "Papa, what time are Mommy and Daddy going to get home. I want to see them."
"You miss them already?" he asked with a smile and I nodded.
I did. Maybe it made me a big baby, but I didn't care.
My mommy and daddy were the best, ever.
Maddie POV
"Mase, what's the matter?" I asked my brother as I sat down next to him on the sofa. I knew there was something bothering him 'cause I got that feeling I got sometimes when he was worried or wanted to talk to me about something.
It felt funny to be at the loft without Mommy and Daddy. They were supposed to be coming home from Lake George right now and Nana said they'd be here pretty soon. We'd been home from school for just a little while and Mommy had told us they would be home before dinner.
I sighed and laid my head on Masen's shoulder and watched him play Super Mario Wii. I missed Mommy and Daddy, even though it had only been two days, well one really, since we'd seen them. Mase knew that ever since Mommy had been hurt, sometimes I got scared about something happening to her again, like it did before. He kept telling me that it wouldn't and that the mean lady wouldn't hurt her anymore, but I still worried. It was so bad when it happened the first time.
Talking to Dr. Benedict about it all helped, but nothing really helped as good as talking to Masen. He was my best friend, even more than Nolan was. I knew he tried to make everything better for me and sometimes it made me sad that I wasn't as strong as he was. I mean, he didn't even cry when he broke his arm and got scared when all those people were chasing him and Mommy! I guess Uncle Emmett kept all those people from getting to him, but Masen was still really brave!
Masen made a funny sound and I picked my head up and looked at him. His forehead was wrinkled like Daddy's gets when he's mad at Uncle Emmett or when Aunt Alice is bugging him. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he was thinking about stuff.
When he got to a place he could pause his game, he threw the controller down and sat back. He ran his hands through his hair, and he looked just like Daddy did, when he did the same thing.
"Don't you think it feels weird being here?" he asked me and I nodded my head since I just thought the same thing.
"How much longer do you think it will be before they get here?" I asked as I looked at the clock again.
He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Not sure, but probably not much longer. Mommy said they'd be here before dinner and she always does what she says."
"I'm so happy we're all married now," I told him.
"Yep, me, too. I mean, Mad, you know Daddy is the only one really married to Mommy right?" he asked and I rolled my eyes at him.
I punched him in the shoulder and said, "'Course I know that, silly, but Mommy and Daddy both said we were all married now, so I'm saying we are."
"'Kay, just making sure you knew for real. Hey, Mad," he asked as he looked back at Nana in the kitchen to make sure she didn't hear him. "Are you ready to move? I mean I'm gonna miss Papa and Nana and stuff, but I want to go to the lake, don't you?"
I looked at Nana just like he did and then whispered, "I do. I'm sad about leaving everybody and I like my room here cause Mommy did it, but yeah, I'm ready."
I reached up and ran my fingers over my new locket and smiled. Everyone at school today asked me about it and I told all my friends about how it had belonged to my Grandpa Charlie's mom and that Mommy wanted me to have it now. I didn't tell anyone about the letter she gave me before we got dressed on Saturday though.
Yesterday when I woke up, I curled up into my special chair and read her letter to me. It said:
My Precious Maddie,
Today, is a really special day. I'm marrying Daddy and after today, we'll always be a family. Forever. Someday when you're older, I will tell you why that means so much to me, but for now, just know that you and Masen are the most important people, besides Daddy, to me.
I am giving you a very special necklace today so that you will always remember that from today on, you will have me, Daddy, and Masen with you.
Things get scary sometimes, Maddie, and I know there will be times that we can't all always be with you. When that happens, you can just look inside your locket and remind yourself that your family will always love you and will always be here whenever you need us.
I'm so happy you and Masen chose me to be your Mommy. I've loved you both since the first moment we met, and I always will. Even many, many years from now when it is hopefully your turn to give this locket to your daughter, I will still be your Mommy and I will always want what is best for you and for you to be happy.
Love always,
Mommy
I knew that Mommy's mom wasn't a very nice lady. I remember the story she told us about Cinderella. I couldn't help but kind of hate her for being so mean to Mommy. I mean Mommy was so nice to everyone, I just didn't understand how anyone could be mean to her.
'Course I didn't understand why that mean lady tried to hurt her either. I knew Mommy and Daddy, Dr. Benedict, too, had all tried to explain that she was sick and her brain told her things that weren't true, but it was still wrong and really bad what she did.
"Do you think Mommy and Daddy will have a baby? Don't you think it would be neat if we had a baby brother or sister?" I asked him. I knew lots of my friends had baby brothers or sisters. I thought it would be so great for Mommy to have a baby. I wanted a baby sister. I could help Mommy with her and when she got bigger, I could play with her and then help her and protect her like Masen did me.
Masen smiled at me and nodded his head. "Oh, Sissy, that would be so awesome! Can you just imagine if we had a baby brother! It would be so cool!"
I nudged him with my knee and gave him my look. "No, Mase, I want a sister," I said as I shook my head.
"Well I want a brother," he told me and crossed his arms at me.
I didn't know why he wouldn't want a sister. Baby boys, just ugh.
I got a sad thought and I must have made a sound because Masen poked me until I looked at him. "What?"
My eyes got tears in them and I tried to bend my head down so Nana wouldn't see. "What if Mommy and Daddy like the new baby more than us? I mean the baby would really be Mommy's and we aren't," I whispered. "I changed my mind. I don't want Mommy to have a baby…ever!" I told him as I closed my eyes and shook my head.
"Mad, cut it out," Masen told me. "You know Mommy loves us lots, I mean look at the presents she gave us. We got to get married with her and Daddy."
"But, Mase, when she has a new baby, she could love it more than us. What if she wanted to give us back, like our real mom did?" I asked.
I didn't like to think about her…ever.
"Sissy, don't say that!" Masen yelled at me and Nana looked over at us. We both turned back to the TV and waited until she stopped looking at us before he started talking again. "You know Mommy wouldn't ever do that!"
I felt tears in my eyes again and felt bad for saying what I did. "I know, but it scares me sometimes," I whispered really soft. "What if that lady that went to my soccer game that one time is our real mom? What if she tries to take us away from Mommy and Daddy?"
He scooted closer to me on the couch and bent his head by mine. "I won't let anyone hurt you, I promise," he told me and I nodded my head at him cause I knew he wouldn't.
"You think that lady is our real mom, don't you?" I asked him.
He had told me what happened that day and how upset Mommy, Daddy, and Aunt Alice all were. When he told me about that lady grabbing him and then asking who I was, I got goosebumps and then I got mad. Nobody grabs my brother like that. Daddy may have gotten mad at us sometimes, but only when we'd been bad and he'd never grabbed us like she did him.
"I do. She really wanted to know who you were and she knew Mommy." He giggled and I looked at him. "You should have seen that lady's face when she saw Aunt Ali, it was funny. She looked like Uncle Seth when he saw that spider that one time."
I laughed at that. Uncle Seth might have been one of Mommy's bodyguards but how someone as big as he was could be that scared of spiders was just silly.
I opened my locket and looked at the picture of Mommy and Daddy inside of it and asked Masen, "You don't think she could ever take us away from here do you?"
We watched the news sometimes and I knew that there were lots of bad things that happened, even to kids. Daddy and Nana had taken us to the shelter where they helped a few times and it made me sad to see kids like me and Mase there. I knew we were really lucky to have Daddy and now Mommy.
He shook his head hard and grabbed my hand. "No way. Daddy would never let that happen…and neither would Mommy. It doesn't matter who our real mom is, Mad, Mommy is with us now. We love her and she loves us. It'll be fine, promise."
"'Kay," I told him, cause I knew if he said it would fine, it would be.
"Hey, you two, why don't you go get started on your homework and get done before Mom and Dad get home. Daddy just sent a text and said they'd be home in about an hour, which gives you plenty of time to get finished. You don't want to have to mess with it later, do you?" Nana said and we both shook our head.
When they got home, I didn't want to have to do anything except see them so we hurried to our rooms to get done. I had Math, which I hated, but only because it was hard for me sometimes. Mommy always laughed at me because she said I was just like her. She didn't like Math either, but she loved to read just like me. It made me feel good to do something like her.
I got my Math and my Spelling done really fast and then helped Masen get his Spelling done. He was really good in Math, like Daddy, but he didn't spell so good.
Once I put away my homework in my folder and put my backpack away, I heard Rufus barking and knew Mommy and Daddy were home. I tried to beat Masen to the door, but I didn't. He was really fast. As soon as the door opened, Mommy and Daddy walked in and Daddy picked me up and gave me a big kiss on the cheek.
"I missed you, Princess," he said as I hugged him real tight around his neck. I loved the way he smelled. I didn't know exactly what he smelled like; I only knew it always made me feel better.
"I missed you, too!" I told him and kissed him again. He rubbed his nose against my cheek and his face was scruffy.
I wiggled so he would put me down so I could see Mommy, too.
"Peanut Butter Cup, how was school today?" she asked me when she bent down to give me a hug.
"It was fine. I got my homework done already and so did Mase," I told her as she gave me a kiss.
She smiled at both of us and said, "Good job! That means we can watch a movie tonight instead of having to do homework!"
We clapped and then they talked to Nana for a minute before she left, too.
Nana had made spaghetti for dinner and we got the plates and stuff out to put on the table.
"So, did you guys have fun at the party after the wedding?" Daddy asked while we were eating and both of us nodded our heads.
I laughed and said, "I did. My favorite part was doing the chicken dance with Uncle Emmett. He's so silly!"
"No kidding! I've had to live with him for a long time," Daddy said, shaking his head.
"My favorite part was eating the cake!" Masen said and I had to nod my head at that. Both cakes were really good, but I liked the white cake better than the chocolate one.
"I can't wait until Paul gives us the pictures he took. You both looked so nice," Mommy said with a smile.
"Not as pretty as you, Mommy," I told her. She was the prettiest mommy, ever.
Daddy kissed her on the cheek and got that silly look on his face he got all the time whenever he looked at her and said, "I have to agree, baby. You were something else."
"Edward, stop it." Mommy giggled but smiled at him.
After we ate we had to help clean up the dishes and after we put on our pajamas we picked out Night at the Museum to watch. I loved that movie, especially the statue that always wanted the gum.
I kept thinking about what Mase and I talked about and when the movie was over I stood up and faced Mommy and Daddy on the couch.
"Mase and I want a baby brother or sister," I told them with my hands on my hips.
~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment